In the beginning...

The foundations of Stothert & Pitt were laid in 1785 – over two centuries ago.George Stothert set up in Bath as an ironmonger and by 1815 the business was prospering under the control of his eldest son George .In 1896, railway locomotives were manufactured at another site in Bristol managed by another son Henry. Within a few years the Bristol site became involved in iron shipbuilding and Robert Pitt joined the partnership. Steam-powered mobile jib cranes were introduced early in the second half of the 19th century as industry and trade developed throughout the world, so Stothert & Pitt supplied the equipment and machinery needed to assist in the handling of goods and materials, the construction of bridges, harbours, railways and other engineering works. During these years one range of products became predominant– cranes. The next major development was the introduction of level luffing, which ensures that the load remains at a constant height as the angle of the jib is varied to alter the radius. In almost any port in the world you will find Stothert & Pitt.